I had my usual fall bronchitis during the Kim Davis/gay marriage debacle and didn’t much care whether any of the people lived or died or whether I would either, for that matter. FWIW, here’s what I thought about it.
- I pretty much think elected officials should uphold the laws, not just the ones they believe. It’s not your job to make the law. If you can’t uphold it, resign. Take you cause outside.
2. Inconsistencies come to mind: Sanctuary city elected officials, Obama ignoring/tromping/changing our immigration laws, pretending a treaty isn’t a treaty in order to bypass Congress, refusing Congressional demands of corruption investigations within his admin and FOIA requests,etc. Somebody should’ve taken action, legal action, against those people but somebody didn’t because the liberal MSM don’t mind those law breakers.
3. Davis isn’t the only clerk to disobey this law, even in KY. If you’re curious why the MSM went after her – and only her – read the FB comments of your liberal friends or news editorials or listen to tv pundits. They’re talking about her fundamentalist religion and she’s not particularly educated and her plain looks and her checkered past and oh, she’s from the hills of KY. IOW, she fulfilled all their ugly stereotypes. Feminists lecture us that looks aren’t important, but they mocked her looks as much as anyone because we’ve learned feminists only care about lefty values. Lefties only care about freedom of religion if it involves Islam.
3. I live close to Rowan/Carter counties. A few years ago people here were surprised to learn our very liberal and well-respected Democratic county prosecutor could not in good conscience try a case involving the death penalty. He refused to resign, saying it wasn’t a problem since a] someone else in his office could try such a case or b] we could send the case to another county and c] we don’t have very many in our county, but he absolutely refused to agree to prosecute any case himself. My husband and I were casual friends of his and see him at community religious services, but I don’t recall him saying religion was the basis for his decision. He was defeated in the regularly-scheduled reelection soon after. Although supporters decried the loss and praised him as a man of character, I felt this was the best way to resolve the issue.
4. Lefties never give up, law or no law, court case or no court case. After blatantly lying about gay marriage to get elected, Obama declared voters in states should decide the issue. Shocked that the most liberal state in the nation rejected gay marriage, California gays reacted with violence, intolerance and ugliness that gave rise to the term “Gay Mafia.” They boycotted businesses with owners/managers who had donated money to ban the resolution permitting gay marriage, even closing down or hurting restaurants. There was an ugly incident of a gay man grabbing an anti-gay marriage sign from an elderly woman and knocking her down. They had ugly protests outside Mormon churches, ignoring that the most organized drive against gay marriage was the Teflon black churches. So don’t lecture me about tolerance or settled law.
5. Why Morehead? A lot of people would be surprised to learn MSU has long been a haven for gays. In the 80’s an acquaintance of mine was photog for the college yearbook,which planned a focus on the gay influence but that was rejected by school officials. The photog, a very liberal guy who later went pro, was disgusted with that decision. I remember he shared popular gay mags that pointedly steered undergrads, grad students and faculty toward the little college in the foothills and the quiet atmosphere there. To be honest, I suspect native residents have caught on by now, esp with the inevitable lawsuits and complaints from gay faculty.
6. Some folks on FB and social media mocked Davis supporters with the supposition they wouldn’t support a Muslim clerk, gleefully assuming they wouldn’t. Hypothetical guilt based upon predetermined outcomes from stereotypes isn’t helpful. My supposition is a little different: Will the Davis naysayers support licenses issued to a man marrying 3 wives, the incest marriage of a brother/sister or the lowering of marriage age requirements to allow legal pedophilia? Think it won’t happen? You need to pay closer attention to papers/journal articles at the APA with changes to the DSM, to popular culture, to lower court cases, and to activists for all these causes.