The nation is in an anti-incumbent mood and Mitch is devoid of charm but I think we’ll vote to keep him again. Some reasons are anti-Grimes and some are pro-Mitch.
1. Grimes is a weak candidate. There are undoubtedly some KY Dems who could beat Mitch but Grimes isn’t one. She’s not as weak as Ashley Judd, but Ashley helped set the paradigm of a weak liberal woman candidate against Mitch. Grimes has the support of unions, the media and Dems but she has still been gaffe-prone and lacking a clear agenda other than ‘beat Mitch.’ That’s not enough to overcome her weaknesses.
2. We hate identity politics here, and that’s Grimes primary claim to fame. Too bad for Grimes, the WarOnWomen message wasn’t really that strong here and it’s beginning to wane nation-wide just when Grimes needs it most. If only that darn Mitch would call her a bitch. Instead it’s the Dems who practiced sexist politics against his wife Elaine Chao. The Dems bet on her Chinese family repelling voters in a red state but Chao is an accomplished woman w/o a hint of scandal. Kentucky voters were the recipient of identity politics from the Obama Dems and the MSM, and it’s ugly as hell. Dumb racists bitter gun clingers hick religion voters get to vote, too, and here our votes count.
The strongest woman candidate we ever had here was Democrat Governor Martha Layne Collins, who never resorted to identity politics but who was, frankly, attractive and feminine. Yes it was a different time but she was also smart and tough.
3. Grimes bet her political farm on the Clintons but I think the Clinton brand is a bit faded, even in KY. Bill Clinton, the Big Dog himself, came here to Ashland the other day amid a boatload of MSM hype and Dem enthusiasm. I didn’t bother going – I saw him when he visited as president – and the local paper reported a crowd of 800. The paper is Dem so even that may be overstated but it’s a paltry number. BTW, the weather was very nice so that wasn’t a factor. Worse for Grimes, I think we voted for Hillary in 2008 more as an anti-Obama vote than a pro-Hillary vote. In any event, Hillary is a flawed candidate here after her years with Obama and the Benghazi debacle.
4. Grimes has nothing in the way of accomplishments, other than being born Jerry Lundergan’s daughter, which is how she got to be Kentucky’s Secretary of State and where she did nothing memorable. Hey, Lexington voted out the grandson of former Governor Happy Chandler – Ben Chandler in the US House – so not electing a political operative’s daughter is no big deal.
5. The unions went heavy for Clinton both times and they’re still a powerhouse for state Dems but here in Eastern Kentucky, their numbers have dwindled and no amount of anti-business rhetoric can hide the fact that it’s due to a slow economic recovery under the Dems and Obama’s obstinate policies.
6. McConnell has discrete accomplishments, including holding the line against the unpopular ObamaCare and CapnTrade, and is definitely pro-coal and pro- KY natural resources.
7. McConnell is likely our next Senate Majority Leader if the GOP garners control of the Senate, replacing the odious and hateful race-baiting Harry Reid. Grimes can’t even say she won’t support Harry Reid if elected.
8. We know Grimes will tote the Obama-Dem line, partly because she is too weak to fight and partly because we know she’s a liberal Dem. I got a ‘voting guide’ from NewPower, the very liberal PAC of the enviro group KCTCS [Kentuckians for the Commonwealth] and they clearly touted her for all the populist crap now touted by Obama Dems, e.g. Elizabeth Warren. Yep, Grime’s a liberal Dem.
9. We need to vote against big-government Dems in the only way that matters.
10. Seldom mentioned but very important is that 2016 will be huge because so many Senate Republicans will be up for re-election in a presidential race that will turnout huge numbers of Democratic voters. In a tough 2016 election, we need as big a barrier against the liberal-Dems-running-as-centrists as we can mange this year.
10. Perhaps most important, we can no longer allow the MSM to elect our nation’s leaders. Obama was elected because of media bias, proving that not only are the media exceeding their authority but they’re as incompetent as the leaders they elect.
We elected Obama because of media bias, and we have to stop our “radical transformation” to the likes of France, Greece or Venezuela. There was 2012 bumpersticker that read: “This isn’t an election, it’s restraining order.“ We are running out of time.